ar

Musings, rants, diatribes, recollections, inspirations, and of course, whatnot.

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Oddiction...

In reviewing several online multimedia/poetry/crap pieces for New Media class, I was struck by how prevalent the desire to be strange is, in the forefront of innovation. These pieces were filled with rapid graphic transitions (you know, the kind that inspire migraines), and truly incomprehensible dialogue. You get the feeling looking at these works that the creator actually was faced with choices, and actively chose to be weird over imparting/inspiring any genuine feeling or emotion. Not that I find anything wrong with a skewed perspective, but I don't think that's enough by itself.

How does this relate to me? Its just another thing to keep in mind, that's all. I feel the urge when I'm in my creative process to 'do something different', or to 'surprise' the reader/watcher/player. And that's all well and good, but I need to remember that difference/strangeness/shock value, can accomplish nothing in a vacuum.

Jason
}:)

P.S. What exactly would a woodchuck want to chuck wood for?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home