ar

Musings, rants, diatribes, recollections, inspirations, and of course, whatnot.

Friday, January 02, 2004

Hyperthinking...

In all the hubbub and depth of our lives, it's important to not take ourselves too seriously. It's too easy to assign our goals 'Golden Fleece' level importance. We're not Argonauts, we're just sifting through our scribblings for nuggets. Not necessarily gold or silver, but we're definitely looking for something other than slag or stone. Sometimes, the dream can be all-consuming and fill our thoughts with the fires of creation. But a holy quest?
This is a central point for me to keep in my head. Too often, I categorize, schedule, analyze, prioritize, evaluate, and otherwise hold my thoughts down on the ground and pummel them into submission. Where is the room in all that for the purity of the thought? In my travels around the web I see literature, which of course runs the gamut from the divine to the dreadful. Then I see analysis of literature, which has a similar range, if tilted a lot farther towards the circular file end of the spectrum. But the other day, I saw an analysis of previous analyses of a piece of literature! What ever happened to reading for enjoyment? I mean, immortal fame concerns aside, isn't entertaining what we want our work to be? And by entertaining I mean any of the hundred types of entertainment. Fun, shocking, hilarious, sad, disgusting, horrible, amusing, disturbing, tearjerking, exciting, provoking, thrilling, scaring... Any of these or their brethren, or any combination thereof will work for me.

Jason

P.S. "Let the Force flow..." SDG. (Some Dead Guy)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home